Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Still Feeling Our Way

The flight was an hour late departing from San Jose, atypical for Southwest. It was also crowded, which is typical. I was in the “A” group, which is first to board, and got a window seat. My bladder isn’t as flexible as it used to be (too much information!) but, despite imbibing a few, I was able to hold it for the duration of the 3 ½-hour flight to Chicago-Midway and didn’t disturb my seatmates.

The taxi to the downtown hotel was $25, cheaper than the ride from O'Hare. It was after eight on a Sunday night, but the bar was crowded. Two colleagues already had started their beers, and we talked about what we were going to say at the meetings the next morning. They ordered pizza, and I ordered fish. One wondered whether I was on Atkins. No, I just happened to want fish tonight, and besides, can’t you tell I’m gaining weight, not losing.

View from my Chicago hotel room.


Inspired by the alcohol, as were many of the other great writers of the 20th century, I put together a seven-page Powerpoint presentation later that night. I accidentally deleted a page but the next morning thought better about adding it back. It was on a topic that was relatively unimportant and complicated, so it’s better not to wander from the main themes. Addition by deletion.

We met at 8 and walked to the office, about a mile away. It was in the 40’s, and I only had a light jacket; here's hoping that they don’t ask me to come back in December or January. The meetings went well, and there were some questions that we couldn’t answer. But that was okay, since we had been in our new jobs for less than a year and were still feeling our way.

That night we had deep-dish pizza (what else?) and more beer. Someone remarked that a slice of Chicago deep-dish contains 2,200 calories. I didn’t believe it at first, but as my UC-Berkeley friends say, if it feels true and it oughtta be true, then it is true. We cabbed back to the hotel, and I headed to the bar to watch the Colts demolish the Patriots, 40-21. It looks like it’s the Colts year.

Today would have been her 101st birthday. Happy birthday, Grandma, with love.

No comments: