Saturday, January 21, 2006

No Satisfaction

My company is discontinuing its employee stock purchase plan, so we all have to tell the bank what to do with our shares by the end of February. I have two choices: the bank can sell the shares and send me the cash, or I can get a stock certificate. I chose to keep the stock, partly because it’s too easy for me to blow any extra cash sent my way, partly because I like the certificate’s design, and partly because I like seeing my name on the shareholders’ register—all reasons not normally found in the finance textbooks.

The customer service representative stopped in the middle of my instructions and said, “Sir, I see that you’re an officer [due to the way the company is organized, it has as many officers as banks have vice presidents] and can’t trade the stock until January 27th [after earnings are announced].”

But I only have several hundred shares in the plan, and besides, I’m not selling or buying, I just want the certificate.

“Sir, we’re talking about the fractional share. You have xxx and ½ shares. We can give you a certificate for the xxx, but we have to sell the one-half. Since you can’t trade it, you’ll have to call us back.”

We’re not talking about Berkshire Hathaway or even Google here. One-half share is only about eighteen bucks, so even if I did have insiders’ information, and knew how the market would react to it, I would be enriched by at most a double-latte. I made a note in my calendar. Darned if I was going to let the bank have the satisfaction of keeping my 18 bucks.

No comments: