Thursday, May 29, 2008

Free, But Not Really

I can’t resist promotions that offer free stuff---and I mean really free, not “buy one, get one free” or “two weeks free membership, then we’ll charge your credit card each month”—and I’ve been showing up at Starbucks on Wednesdays to get a free cup of coffee. It really is a no-strings-attached deal; just flash your card and get a regular cup of their Pike Place blend on Wednesdays during the month of May.

At the end of April Starbucks passed out hundreds of the cards near the BART station on the corner. Down-and-outers as well as businessmen in suits took advantage of the promotion, and many went back for free refills throughout the day.


Less grabby in my middle age, I think merchants should receive positive reinforcement for their good behavior, so I’ve purchased an item when getting my free cuppa joe. Last week I bought a sandwich, and today I picked up some dipped Madeleines to accompany the cup with the new logo on my train ride home. At 90 cents each the cookies were overpriced, but giving positive reinforcement sometimes isn’t free.

No comments: