Friday, January 02, 2009

A Taxing New Year's Eve

While most were taking off for the holidays, I had a last-minute request from the budget people to put together some schedules for the 2009 plan. The deal that we had done before Christmas will affect the plan numbers, and the company’s financial information system is an insatiable beast that must be fed.

But the budget tables were easy compared to the task of making sense of my personal finances. The afternoon of December 31st was when I finally got a handle on our tax picture for the year. Yes, I’m a procrastinator and had been avoiding this unpleasant task, but in my defense some key pieces of information only became known recently.

It was a close call whether I could finish the calculations and get the payments to the Post Office--should that be the conclusion--before it closed.

(continued below) © 2009 Stephen Yuen

No comments: