Wednesday, November 24, 2010

It's All Garbage


Recology will replace Allied Waste as our garbage collection company in January. Today Recology distributed three new carts to each house in the neighborhood, and the service promises to be a great improvement.

1) No longer will we have to separate our paper, plastic, and cans into separate boxes. All recyclables go into the blue cart.

2) The carts have signs to remind us which materials go into each. The signs are laminated to resist weather.

3) The black cart they gave us looks durable and expensive. Now I won't have to shop for a new garbage can. (I'm noticing that procrastination can be rewarding; sometimes problems do go away.)

4) Every week--formerly it was every other--we can put the recyclables and greens by the curb. I have mistakenly brought out the containers on non-recycle day, or not put them out when I should have. (Looking at what the neighbors are doing is not 100% reliable, because sometimes they're wrong, too.)

Communication can still be improved. I was all set to start using the carts this week--opportune timing for the Thanksgiving trash--when a few clicks informed me that the service will start in January. Anticipation increases the excitement, I suppose.

No comments: