Thursday, February 10, 2011

Paradise Enough

Gray skies and rain greeted the Island visitors as they walked from the gate. The mid-60's temperatures were unusually cool, even during the winter.

Dad and Mom greeted me at the baggage claim. Their movements have been slowed due to age and illness--in fact we had to stop by the doctor's office before we headed home--but that somewhat banal observation can be made about most people I know.

The traffic into town was worse than I remembered. Potholes appeared prevalent, and tropical growth, especially on schools and other public property, seemed to be going longer untended. It wasn't decay exactly, but a slight dinginess that can likely be dispelled by a few days of sunshine.

It's not the outward paradise that I remembered, but I was home. That's paradise enough.

The apartment buildings on the right partially obscure Mt. Tantalus.

No comments: