Monday, December 17, 2012

Aloha, Senator Dan

Two war heroes
After my college graduation ceremonies were over, we took a car trip along the Eastern seaboard to the nation's capital. We gaped at the monuments and spent days walking about the Smithsonian. We toured the Capitol and took a peek at the offices of Daniel Inouye, our home state's then-junior senator. To our surprise, his secretary told us to come right in.

Senator Dan recognized my father as a fellow graduate of McKinley High and reminisced about the McCully neighborhood. They shot the breeze about old times and old friends. We had arrived unannounced, and he spoke to us as if he didn't have anything else on his calendar. (It was the summer of 1973, and the national spotlight was beginning to focus on him and other members of the Senate Watergate Committee.)

When he died earlier today, Senator Dan, as president pro tempore, was third in line to the Presidency. He had acquired enormous influence in the "world's most exclusive club", yet one never got the sense that he was owned by Washington. A staunch Democrat, Senator Dan had close Republican friends. He refrained from extreme partisanship, possibly costing himself a party leadership position in the Senate.

"A remarkable American life," said Sen. Mitch McConnell (R-Ky). Amen. © 2012 Stephen Yuen

1 comment:

Gaye Marasaki said...

There was a major protest against the Vietnam War planned in Washington while I was at Swarthmore in the very early 1970's. Swarthmore encouraged us to attend, as a civic duty and a learning experience. The school said they would provide bus transportation and a place to stay (floor space for a sleeping bag, that is), provided we visit our representatives in Congress and voice our opinion. Swarthmore was founded by Quakers, who are anti-war, but the school didn't care which side we were on - they just wanted us to be participating citizens. As a callow and shallow youth with no money, I was simply thrilled at this opportunity to see Washington DC "for free." Being dutiful and mindful of the "condition" for the free ride & sleeping bag floor space, I stopped at both Hawaii senators' offices. They were diametric opposites. Fong's office was pristine with a rather cold secretary manning the entry with a spotless desk. She was a little shocked when I asked to see the senator, but Fong happened t/b in with nothing to do (there was NOTHING in that office!), so when she checked w/him, he said to send me in. When I attempted to say I was there to express my feelings about the war, he cut me off and lectured me on how Nixon was right and that he supported our president and we all needed to stand behind him etc. etc. Once he was done w/his lecture, he looked at his watch and said he had a meeting so the secretary would show me the way out. He added that the only reason he saw me was because I was from Hawaii (in the days when not too many people could afford to travel so far). OK. I then went to Inouye's office. He was out of town but his office felt like - HAWAII! Kind of messy, lots of food and friendly people!!! Tuck Newport (class of '67) was there and we chatted (he & my brother were in the same class). I told Tuck how I felt about the war (against it) and I suppose he told me he'd tell Senator Inouye. Did he? Who knows... But I definitely had a WAY better opinion of Inouye's office, than Fong's!!! Total opposites!
BTW after I did my civic duty of visiting our senators, I joined in the march on the Capitol. Peter Paul & Mary & all kinds of other famous groups were singing to protest the war. From my shallow callow POV it was a wonderful experience, the height of all things cool!
But this did forever color my view of Fong and Inouye. I read Inouye's book some time afterwards. It further reinforced my positive opinion.