Saturday, November 16, 2013

More Skype, Less Frustration

Earlier this week I was traveling east on the Hayward-San Mateo bridge (the road is usually uncrowded against the westbound morning commute) when traffic came to a dead stop. There was a three-car accident on the bridge, and all lanes were blocked.

After texting everyone that I was going to be late indefinitely--yes, I know that texting while driving is illegal but does the rule still apply to texting while stopped?--and second-guessing whether I should have taken the Dumbarton Bridge, I "third"-guessed that I should have teleconferenced and/or worked from home.

Eventually arriving at the office, I had some worthwhile face-to-face meetings, informative interactions with a few people that I had not planned to see, and a tasty lunch to boot. Nevertheless, the benefits were not quite equal to the cost of the day's commute. Next time: more Skype, less frustration. © 2013 Stephen Yuen

No comments: