Thursday, July 31, 2014

Long and Chewy

I dipped the appetizer into the aioli. Tasty. The calamari strips were somewhat long and chewy.

That's not calamari, said my dinner companion, those are pig ears (there was no calamari on the menu).

31st Union is a two-year-old restaurant located in an old building in downtown San Mateo. Its owners subscribe to the locavore philosophy.

The California-themed restaurant (the name originates from California being the 31st state) seems popular with the young professional crowd, who tend to avoid the fast-food and casual dining establishments that I frequent.

Dishes were freshly prepared in interesting combinations, and overall it was an enjoyable, albeit slightly pricey experience.

I'll probably return when we host out-of-town visitors---I'm looking forward to watching their expression as they bite into the "calamari."

No comments: