Thursday, May 14, 2015

Trust, but Verify.....the Credit Card Statements

Not your granddad's gas pump.
I pulled up to the stall, swiped the Costco American Express card, and began filling the gas tank. The lady in the next car over said that she had left her Costco card in another purse. Could I swipe my card to activate her pump? She flashed the debit card that she would use to pay for her gas. No problem.

Back at my own car a few minutes later, I realized that, by pressing a button, the lady could charge her purchase to my AmEx account. But I was too chicken to go back and watch her and openly demonstrate a lack of trust.

So I surreptitiously photographed her license plate and typed in a reminder on the smartphone to check the April 21st gas purchases later. Today the AmEx statement arrived, and all was in order.

A rational person would have just ignored the whole thing---the maximum possible exposure from filling her sedan would have been about $40 and I wasn't going to chase her down for that amount---but curiosity kept the matter alive.

"Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me." [John 14] Obviously, Jesus never had any credit cards.

No comments: