Thursday, December 03, 2015

Honesty Unfiltered

Joy will be released on Christmas and is certain to garner "J-Law" an Oscar nomination.
Jennifer Lawrence is one of the brightest stars in the Hollywood firmament. At 25, she's already won the Best Actress Oscar in Silver Linings Playbook, had leading roles in billion-dollar Hollywood franchises X-Men and Hunger Games, and has appeared on Hollywood most powerful and highest paid lists.

She's also known for her outspokenness. She's written about how Hollywood sexism may be responsible for her (astronomical) salary being less than that of popular male actors and how "If Donald Trump Became President, It Would Be the End of the World." Her blunt words do not appear to have damaged her popularity, even with those who disagree with her politics. Perhaps, as with her political bĂȘte noire, people are attracted to her by an honesty unfiltered by focus groups and handlers.

From her Entertainer-of-the-Year interview with EW:
Q: What comes after you've achieved success?

A: I can speak from personal experience. People start to feel a lot less guilty when you become bigger or have more money. People feel less guilty taking from you because it's like stealing a Snickers from Duane Reade [drugstore chain now owned by Walgreens]. People forget about the personal drain or attack that you feel.

Q: What does that do to you when it comes to your personal life?

I have a very small circle. The moment I feel like someone is using me or is in it for the wrong reasons, I have zero guilt about just cutting them the f— out of my life. My bulls--- detector is phenomenal. None of my friends bulls--- me. Everything in my life has to be real.
Jennifer Lawrence is beautiful, of course, but not in a supermodel sense. It's not her looks that have won her awards, and it's a safe bet that she will be acting long after her contemporaries have faded from the scene. Long may she rule.

No comments: