Saturday, July 10, 2021

Good Birthday Party

One purpose of my first trip to Hawaii in 16 months was to celebrate Mom's birthday. She turned 92 last week and had a joy-filled afternoon.

The assisted-living facility only allowed five visitors at a time; COVID protocols are still active. Concerned that after two hours she would be exhausted, we discovered that those fears were unfounded.

Visits started at 2 p.m., and at five, when the facility closed, Mom was still going strong.

Receiving presents, eating cupcakes and long-life noodles, and having "Happy Birthday" being sung to you were just the tonics she needed.

Kalakaua Bridge over the canal.
Upon leaving, I promised Mom that I would visit her every afternoon (which I did, except for the day when she was transported to Queen's Medical Center for an appointment).

On my daily walks around the neighborhood, I noted how the Kalakaua Ave. bridge over the Ala Wai Canal was built the same year that Mom was born.

The bridge was a little weather-beaten, but its bones are strong. Long may it stand.

No comments: