Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Halloween, 2008

The rains came on Halloween--and none too soon—because this year’s precipitation has been well below normal. I switched off the sprinklers for the weekend and waited for the showers to stop.

We joined the line of ghosts, goblins, and princesses snaking over the Beach Park bridge. Despite the inclement weather trick-or-treating in Foster City’s safe neighborhood attracted hundreds of kids this year.

We stopped at Master Perez’ booth. (Herb Perez was an Olympic gold medalist in taekwondo and has built a popular martial arts studio in Foster City.) Everyone who walked by was greeted with a balloon and a friendly word from Master Perez. With his young family, new house, and prosperous business, he’s often remarked how lucky his life has been. I think that we’re the lucky ones.

We exited Farragut Park to check out the decorations. Some homeowners went through elaborate efforts in setting up audio-visual equipment and re-doing their whole front yard. Others just passed out candy, while a nice couple poured hot coffee and apple juice for all comers.

The youngster greeted a number of acquaintances and gabbed with other teenagers. Most teens didn’t really care about the candy. What drew them out was the primal urge to see and be seen and maybe to get away from their parents. My guy still likes having me around, but I have to maintain a discreet distance when he’s talking with his friends.

Despite having lived in Foster City over two decades, I lose my sense of direction when wandering the safe neighborhood; the streets curve into dead-end cul-de-sacs and I often have to turn around. This year, though, there’s the magical iPhone with GPS! The flashing blue dot marked our position on the map and we found our way back without any trouble.

Soon he’ll be too old to go trick-or-treating. In my second childhood I’ve found that I enjoy mingling with other parents and seeing familiar faces out and about. Maybe Master Perez can use a helping hand next year. © 2008 Stephen Yuen


No comments: