Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Better Living Through Chemistry

On January 1st I planned to hit the ground running. Instead I took it lying down.

Three days before Christmas I came down with what I thought was a cold. The worst symptoms lessened during the following week, but despite regular ministrations of vitamin C and herbal tea I could never get rid of the chest congestion, sore throat, and nightly cough. 20 days was long enough to fend off accusations of hypochondria, and I went to the doctor.

She prescribed various decongestants and bronchodilators to assist breathing, along with the antibiotic azithromycin to combat infection. After three days of treatment I'm feeling much better, thank you, and will continue the doctor's regimen through next week.

Natural cures and holistic health are all the rage, but why fight big pharma? The drug companies got big for the reason that their stuff generally works. Better Living Through Chemistry may no longer be a popular saying, but it's truer than it ever was.

No comments: