Monday, January 31, 2011

Me, Myself, and I

Peggy Noonan reviews the State of the Union speech:
[President Obama] too often in making a case puts the focus on himself. George H.W. Bush, always afraid of sounding egotistical, took the I's out of his speeches. We called his edits "I-ectomies." Mr. Obama always seems to put the I in. He does "I implants."
That's a funny observation, but the President is a smart guy who wouldn't continue to put the focus on himself if it wasn't working. The majority of the public may not like his policies, but they like him personally. (Heck, count me in the majority.)

Can he be beaten in 2012? Depends on how bad things get, foreign events being the wild card, and who the Republican nominee is. That sounds obvious, I know, but my sense is that Sarah Palin is damaged goods and Mitt Romney is vulnerable because of health care.

Today I'd vote for Governor Christie or General Petraeus over President Obama, but both say they're not running. As everyone is saying about the events in Egypt, the situation is very fluid. 

No comments: