Thursday, March 08, 2012

iPass

As a longtime consumer of Apple products and as an Apple shareholder, I want to love the new iPad. It's got a higher resolution "retinal" display, faster internal processing, faster Internet connections, and sharper cameras than its predecessor. The new iPad's price range is $499 to $829, the same as for the iPad 2 last year. Meanwhile, the price for the iPad 2 has been lowered by $100.

Over the past decade I've been spoiled by Apple's product introductions, which have upended entire industries. For any other company it would have justifiably been called a revolutionary upgrade (Apple uses the mildly cute "resolutionary"), but to these eyes the new iPad is "just" more, better, and faster than the iPad 2. The tech reporters are admiring, but phrases like workmanlike upgrade give away their true feelings.

My one-year-old iPad 2 is still pretty good, so I'll pass on the new iPad. Besides, I have to save my shekels for the rumored iPhone 5 and iTV. [On the other hand, if the Board of Directors deigns to introduce a dividend, I just might have enough to buy a new iPad after all :) ]

No comments: