Thursday, May 23, 2013

Glass is Good

2 minutes of shaking yielded a few drops
Today's buzz is about Google Glass. Yesterday's headline-grabber was oleophobic glass (it resists skin oils), and before that Corning's Gorilla Glass was all the rage. Glass is over-blown, but I'm with Steve Jobs on this one: the feel and look of glass is better than plastic.

Even if the subject is mundane as ketchup. Most restaurants now dispense ketchup from plastic bottles, where a slight squeeze dispenses the thick red paste quickly with little fuss. Not so with glass, which has caused your humble observer to stain more than a few shirts and ties after a bout of vigorous shaking and pounding. (And I hope, dear reader, that your mother taught you never to insert your knife or other utensil into the condiment container.)

This is the 21st century, and any number of wondrous nano-substances are emanating from research labs. I want my ketchup to be housed in glass, and I want it to be thick not watery, and I want it to pour easily. Is that too much to ask? © 2013 Stephen Yuen

No comments: