Saturday, June 15, 2013

Plus C'est la Même Chose

When one is offered enormous power, what should be the response?

Gandalf, a fictional wizard:
With that power I should have power too great and terrible. And over me the Ring would gain a power still greater and more deadly....Do not tempt me! For I do not wish to become like the Dark Lord himself. Yet the way of the Ring to my heart is by pity, pity for weakness and the desire of strength to do good. Do not tempt me! I dare not take it, not even to keep it safe, unused. The wish to wield it would be too great for my strength. I shall have such need of it. Great perils lie before me.
Jesus (Matthew 4:8):
the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their splendor. “All this I will give you,” he said, “if you will bow down and worship me.” Jesus said to him, “Away from me, Satan! For it is written: ‘Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only.’
The good individual's instinct is to fear the corrupting effect of power on themselves. If power is thrust upon them nevertheless, the self-aware wield it with great restraint. Based on the revelations of the past month, there is little self-awareness to be found in Washington. © 2013 Stephen Yuen

No comments: