Tuesday, May 12, 2020

“James, You’re the Best”

Carly Simon, on the making of the theme to The Spy Who Loved Me (1977):
The piano player who looks like an accountant (WSJ)
The next day, when the doorbell rang, it was the tax guy with heavy glasses in a black suit and tie. I went into the kitchen to make us tea.

As the water boiled, I wondered why the tax guy was playing my piano. When I came out with the tea, the pianist turned out to be Marvin [Hamlisch]. I didn’t realize he looked like an accountant.

Marvin sang and played “Nobody Does it Better.” Then I sang it back. I don’t read music, but I when I listen, the music sticks.
The movie starred Roger Moore as James Bond and one of Bond's all-time villains, the metal-toothed Jaws. I only liked the movie, but loved the song.

No comments: