Tuesday, August 08, 2023

W&M Bar-B-Q Burgers



With one day left on our Hawaii trip I asked the crew about lunch. There was only one item left on the to-do list: get hamburgers from W&M Bar-B-Q Burgers in Kaimuki.

W&M is a small family-owned hamburger joint founded in the post-war era. It is one of the very few survivors of the Mainland fast-food onslaught (the first McDonald's in Hawaii opened in 1968). W&M burgers taste like those made at a backyard barbecue and are piled thickly with cheese, lettuce, and tomatoes.

I do like the product, but we get "gourmet" burgers in California that IMHO are superior (and pricier). One drawback of going to W&M is that parking is very limited, and more than half the time I have to park at the City Mill hardware store next door. And did I mention that the wait is usually half an hour in the summer humidity?

I brought eight hamburgers, fries, and macaroni salad back to the house. Everyone enjoyed the food; I did, too, but not enough to go back when I return to Hawaii in a few months.

No comments: