Thursday, August 17, 2023

Patient in my Circumstances

In a wheelchair this ride would have been perfect.
My outpatient procedure was scheduled from 6 a.m. to 8 a.m., and, because general anesthesia would be used, the clinic would not allow me to drive home. Coincidentally, for the first time ever, I couldn't hitch a ride with anyone because of various calendar conflicts.

No problem, I told them, I'll just take a cab or Uber or Lyft. That won't do, they said, you will have to use a licensed medical transportation company.

And so it was that I Uber'ed to the appointment at a cost of $18 plus tip and hired a medical van to take me back for $100. The vehicle was equipped for wheelchair passengers and was overkill for a patient in my circumstances.

I could work myself into a lather about liability insurance, government regulations, and one-size-fits-all safety requirements. Cultivating an attitude of gratitude is better: I have the means to pay the bill, and the procedure was quick. Besides, anger often hurts the person expressing it as well as its object.

The driver made sure I got to the front door okay. There's a reason there are a dozen businesses like his in the area, and some day I may genuinely need his services.

No comments: