Sunday, April 21, 2024

Good Shepherd Sunday

Roman catacombs, circa 2nd century (aleteia)
On Good Shepherd Sunday the hymns, Bible passages, and sermons may vary, but one constant is always the 23rd Psalm. The lady minister said today that there are two major themes: the Good Shepherd who laid down His life for His sheep, and the feast that awaits us. It is a Psalm that many learned in Sunday School and is often read at funerals.

Despite many attempts to make the passages sound modern, your humble blogger has always preferred the King James version. See if you agree, dear reader, with the KJV and NIV (New international Version) laid side by side:

Psalm 23: KJVPsalm 23: NIV
The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing.
He maketh me to lie down in green pastures;He makes me lie down in green pastures,
He leadeth me beside the still waters.He leads me beside quiet waters,
He restoreth my soul;He refreshes my soul.
He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his Name's sake.He guides me along the right paths
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of deathEven though I walk through the darkest valley
I will fear no evil;I will fear no evil,
For thou art with me;For you are with me;
Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.Your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies;You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies.
Thou anointest my head with oilYou anoint my head with oil;
My cup runneth over.My cup overflows
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life,Surely your goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life,
And I will dwell in the House of the Lord for ever.And I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

No comments: