Thursday, June 18, 2009

iPhone 3G S

Like thousands of existing iPhone users I downloaded software version 3.0 to my iPhone 3G last night. (I won’t bother to repeat all the software additions and mods that have been reviewed in other publications. Engadget has a comprehensive review of v3.0, as well as the new iPhone 3GS handset to be released tomorrow.)

I’m a non-power user who uses his iPhone for basic phoning, texting, web-surfing, and address-finding. I only have two purchased application programs (“apps”) and am barely into my second page. Some users I know have hit the nine-page ceiling, which has been raised to eleven pages (180 apps) in the update. Frankly, I think those guys ought to get a life, but if I were their age I’d probably be as obsessed as they are.

My first impression is that Apple has added enough nice touches that everyone should find something to be pleased about. For example, the included “Stocks” app formerly provided only the daily price change in dollars or percentages; now it includes the market capitalization of the equities on the user’s list. We also can access information on individual stocks through this app instead of switching over to the Safari browser to pull up Yahoo Finance, Google Finance, or other financial sites.

The cut- or copy-and-paste function makes the iPhone a better blogging tool---although still not the equal of a laptop or a netbook because of the lack of a physical keyboard---now that we can link to other URLs much more easily and can quote extended passages.

One drawback I’ve noticed---and it may be due to a reason other than the upgrade---is that the Safari browser has been freezing throughout the morning. Perhaps my one-year-old 3G’s limited memory (vs. the 3GS) is the cause, but we’ll see how often this problem recurs over the coming weeks.

I agree with Walt Mossberg that there aren’t compelling reasons for non-fanboys to upgrade from the iPhone 3G to the 3GS. It will take me at least a year to figure out the features in the new software. When the new model 4G comes out next year my current contract will be expiring and the timing will be right for a new phone. That’s the plan, anyway. © 2009 Stephen Yuen

You can now leave voice memos (app on bottom right)

No comments: