Tuesday, November 06, 2012

Tuesday After the First Monday in November

Our voting machines are easy to use.
After I signed my name, the polling-place lady asked if I wanted a paper ballot.

No, I trust the machines, I said smilingly.

The machine is much faster, and there was little chance someone would risk vote tampering because the headline race was a foregone conclusion. Here in California a clear majority admire the President's governance, and we do our best to make sure his policies and results are replicated in Sacramento.

With one exception I adhered to my two general rules of not voting for lawyers (although some of my best friends, yadda yadda...) and not voting for propositions, regardless of how much I sympathize with their intent. Laws hastily drafted often have unintended consequences, and we pay legislators to resolve those problems in committees before laws are signed, not afterwards in the courts.

As for the exception, well, it's something I've wanted for a long time. © 2012 Stephen Yuen

No comments: