Sunday, June 17, 2018

Father's Day, 2018

Dad, 92, relaxes at Ala Moana with a decaf latte.
Below is an old Father's Day post, last run five years ago.

I remember when Dad
  • Drove me to Little League three times a week and helped me work on my pitching motion every day after school.
  • Worked three jobs, which explained why he was always tired, so that he could buy a house and send all his kids to private school.
  • Installed all the wiring when the church put in its pipe organ.
  • Bought me a violin for $350, which was a lot of money in 1965.
  • Let me visit him in his office, where he was the manager. The atmosphere was hushed, quieter than a classroom (this was a long time ago).
  • Taught me chess, which was not one of his favorite games.
  • Helped get me great summer jobs at Brewer Chemical and Dole Pineapple.
  • Quit smoking, for his sake and ours, when the Surgeon General issued the first warning on cigarettes.
  • Gave me the family car when I learned how to drive.
  • Lectured me on how to treat women----politely, and always with respect.

    Happy Father's Day, Dad, we'll see you soon. © 2018 Stephen Yuen
  • No comments: