Friday, October 27, 2023

Sheepishly Assenting

Today, after years of requesting me to switch to paperless banking (primarily to eliminate the cost of printing and mailing statements), Citibank stopped asking nicely.

If I didn't agree to go paperless, Citi would eliminate my online access rights, the ability to send payments to vendors electronically, and the ability to transfer funds online. I could go back to the old way, that is, writing and mailing checks to everyone and making transfers at the Automated Teller Machine.

Yes, I could make them pay! I could make them process dozens of checks every month, just like they used to!

But I didn't. The convenience of electronic banking is too great, so I sheepishly assented to paperless-ness. And yes, if I really wanted a physical bank statement I could download and print one every month.

But I still don't like being forced to do something and calling it a "choice."

No comments: