Tuesday, May 08, 2012

Blind Spot

Like millions ( a billion?) of other time-wasting smartphone users, I click over to Angry Birds when bored or in need of a distraction. I finished the game but found it difficult to score the maximum three stars on one of the easier levels.

The player must knock over the stone tower, which is intermittently successful if one shoots at the tower roof. But the score was frustratingly low despite hundreds of attempts over a period of months.

I started firing birds in all directions and found that a couple of shots by the yellow triangular bird would demolish a small stone near the base. The whole edifice came tumbling down, and the elusive three stars were the reward.

The small satisfaction received from beating the level was dispelled by the knowledge that I had a blind spot to a solution that was obvious in retrospect.  How many blind spots do I have in matters more important than a videogame?

No comments: