Sunday, June 29, 2014

No Disappointment

Rob and I split the responsibilities: he goes to the community center and begins setting out the baked chicken and salad, while I drive to St. Pius to pick up the brown-bag lunches for the guests to take home.

The key to the walk-in freezer wasn't in the usual place, and no one answered the door at the St. Pius administrative office. Plan C was a 3-year-old never-before-used phone number in my iPhone contact list. Voila and PTL, as the French and Baptists say, respectively; Dave answered the phone, and I went to his house to get the key. 100 brown bags were waiting in the freezer.

The diners had waited patiently for me to arrive. They took all the bags, along with bread, cookies, and cupcakes generously contributed by the Foster City Safeway. Sometimes, despite good intentions, one's efforts are not welcome or appreciated. Such disappointment has never occurred at Sandwiches on Sunday. © 2014 Stephen Yuen

No comments: