Thursday, June 05, 2014

Uncle Mel

Dad called tonight to tell me the sad news about Melvin. Uncle Mel was a quiet man. Sure, when he was among family and had downed a few, Uncle Mel would become more talkative, but he was never as boisterous as the other guys sitting around the table. He was typical of the greatest generation which served its country, then went about its business, working and raising a family.

Uncle Mel was proud of his Hawaiian heritage and went to Kamehameha. When I began attending its rival, he took me to the Kam-Punahou football game at the old Honolulu Stadium. My 9-year-old self loudly cheered as the Puns won, 20-0. Uncle Mel told my parents that I gloated, and to this day I am sorry that I did. You were a good man, Uncle Mel, and I'll miss you. R.I.P.

No comments: