Saturday, June 21, 2014

Advice I'm Not Following

Another article about the dangers of one of my favorite foods.
England's Food Standards Agency found that washing raw poultry can splash harmful campylobacter bacteria on surfaces and cooking appliances in your kitchen, which can leave you vulnerable to symptoms that include abdominal pain, severe diarrhea, vomiting and food poisoning. Researchers found that washing the poultry under tap water can spread the bacteria more than three feet.
Their advice is to forego washing the chicken and cook it thoroughly. Call me hypochondriacal, but given all the publicity about unsanitary conditions in chicken processing, I cannot not wash chicken (sometimes one has to use a double negative). I'll wash the parts at the bottom of a sink under a gentle stream, then I'll cook them thoroughly.

A week from Sunday at the Redwood City community center another crowd will be waiting....

Tasty....and safe, after baked for two hours at 325 degrees.

No comments: