Saturday, March 26, 2016

John Keast, R.I.P.

My friend, John Keast, died suddenly and peacefully on Wednesday in Santa Cruz. Many in his far-flung family weren't there to say goodbye, so the priest conducted the Ministration at the Time of Death today, the day before Easter.

The service became an abbreviated memorial, as were added a Gospel reading, a brief homily, and remembrances from John's children. His "real" memorial service will occur in September, when John would have turned 96.

If and when I reach my 80's, I hope to be reasonably independent and be able to carry on a conversation without people talking to me like a five-year-old.

In his 80's John was designing programs to help prisoners re-enter society, giving speeches to persuade others to join him, and raising funds for the Inmate Correctional Education Project. When I tried to tell him how much I admired him, he wouldn't hear any of it. John, I hope you're listening now. R.I.P.

1 comment:

piperlori said...

Thank you, Stephen for posting this lovely tribute. This is Jenni, John's daughter. ( I was one of the ones who spoke at the service. God Bless you!