Wednesday, November 30, 2016

It Sucks Just a Little

Duct tape had reached its limit.
After 30 years the central vacuum system was still working, but the same couldn't be said of the 30-foot hose. Mottled by cracks and holes, the hose's duct tape had its own duct tape. The suction power was only a little stronger than a good handheld vacuum.

I looked online for a replacement hose, but no one seemed to carry one that had our connector. And so it was that I found myself in southern San Jose, trying to find the successor to the company that had installed the original vacuum system.

Several websites suggested that the business could be found on Blossom Hill Road. One elderly resident said that she had seen a guy in a "two-story house" selling vacuum parts. After vainly searching, I knocked on the door of a house (pictured) that could have been involved with a hardware/car/parts business. The young man said that the previous owner, who left no forwarding address, had sold vacuum cleaners.

Stil strong
Though I made no progress toward the objective, I got outdoors, had a nice walk, and met some people. I've had worse days.

No comments: