Thursday, March 12, 2009

Once Was Lost Then Now Is Found

I had often misplaced my first wedding ring (your opinions are not welcome, Dr. Freud). I finally lost it for good when it slipped off my finger swimming at Ala Moana. We searched for hours to no avail. I bought a replacement later that summer.

The second gold band lasted for 14 years until it too was lost, along with a jade ring that my grandmother gave me. The last time I saw either was when we remodeled the kitchen. I was 99% positive that the rings were somewhere in the house. The 1% uncertainty consisted of a nagging suspicion that one of our contractors had helped himself when I wasn't looking. Try as I might, I could never banish that poisonous thought completely.

I was surprised and delighted when we replaced two heavy bedroom dressers this month. Beneath the years of accumulated dust and debris lay two shiny objects. I was grateful that I had found the rings, but more importantly that my suspicions about a fellow human being were completely unfounded. Another sign that this year may turn out to be better than expected.


No comments: