Saturday, March 07, 2009

Capitalism and Freedom

(This is just a short personal note, unrelated to Milton Friedman's landmark essay.)

I once had a conversation with a finance colleague who asked what "being rich" meant to me. After the usual prefatory disclaimers about wealth and money not meaning the same thing and how money doesn't necessarily lead to happiness--look at all the miserable rich people--I proffered my view that being wealthy meant having enough to meet all present (e.g., pay off my mortgage) and future obligations (e.g., children's education, future medical bills, future living expenses). Then I would be free to work, travel, volunteer, go on cruises, read, write, play golf, go back to school....or not. Being rich, above all, meant freedom.

Since November 4, 2008 I have lost a lot of freedom. And I don't hold much hope of regaining it soon. © 2009 Stephen Yuen

Stock index declines since Inauguration.
Double the losses if you're going back to Election Day.

No comments: