Tuesday, July 28, 2015

The Future is Golden

Half of Kearny was blocked (B of A building in the distance.)
Temperature highs were broken around the Bay today. Reflecting poor timing, I drove into the City for a lunchtime appointment in a car with a broken air conditioner. (Before you ask, dear reader, public transit would have added about 90 minutes to the round trip.)

Construction was occurring throughout the City. It took 30 minutes to crawl four blocks. By the time I had parked and walked to the restaurant, my shirt was soaked.

After lunch I stopped at the Wells Fargo Museum to cool off.
Today the gold is no longer in the hills but in the Valley.
My friend, whom I hadn't seen for over a year, talked about her new position at a major bank. She had been promoted already, and her section was hiring. Echoing the lament heard by Silicon Valley employers, she had difficulty finding candidates with the technical background to handle the job.

I wished her well. Key executives are retiring over the next 10 years, and her advancement seems assured. Times are tough for 25-40 year-olds, but for a few the future is golden.

No comments: