Friday, December 09, 2016

The Stewpot Will Be Ready

By Friday the fridge often overflows with leftovers.
Yesterday was our last evening of service in 2016 to Home and Hope, the interfaith local network that provides temporary housing, meals, and other services to four families at a time. Because most of the families arrived after 9 o'clock and had already eaten, we had plenty of leftover food (pictured). It wasn't necessary to cook dinner.

Hank and I stayed till 7:30 a.m.--each of us taking an air mattress--as the two overnight monitors. He is a member of the host church and has thrown himself into the fray enthusiastically. He was up before 6 a.m. and started the coffee, for which I was grateful.

In the morning I chatted with Angelica. She's still in the program and spoke fondly of the stew that I made the last time. Flattery will get her everywhere.

I'm hoping that she will have found housing by the next time we're on duty in March, but if not my stewpot will be ready.

No comments: