Thursday, January 26, 2017

Around and Back

Ala Wai Canal, January 2017
On every trip back to Honolulu I try to walk around the Ala Wai Canal. (I used to jog, but the pounding could trigger the arthritis that runs in my family--that's my story and I'm sticking to it.)

One should not day dream or text when walking on the sidewalk, which has become increasingly crowded with pedestrians, joggers, dog walkers, and bicyclists.

The canal in 2011
One should only cross the street in a crosswalk, when the light is green, and only after looking in both directions (the one-way traffic is westbound, but bicyclists can come from any direction). The automobile traffic is heavy, and many of the drivers are in a hurry, speeding through the red light.

I got back to the house after an hour. It was 6:30 p.m. and quite dark. My brother joked (at least I think he was) that he was getting ready to look for me.

Have I really reached the age where people worry that I might not find my way back? (Oh, so that's why she insisted I install Find My Friends on the iPhone.)

No comments: