Monday, March 24, 2008

Under the Weather

As Punxsutawney Phil predicted, much of the rest of the country experienced winter weather through late March. In the oasis that is the Bay Area, skies for the most part have been clear and cool.

The downside, however, is that the trees have bloomed on schedule. The combination of a high pollen count and a virus that the youngster brought home from school nearly incapacitated me with sneezes that I couldn't stifle, a nose that wouldn't stop running, and a head that wouldn't stop throbbing. I had not had a bad week like this since I had restarted immunotherapy injections.

The new non-drowsy allergy medications were of little help, so I reached for the tried-and-true Benadryl tablets and Nyquil. The antihistamines dried me up and put me to sleep, not a useful side effect when one has to attend meetings. But I managed to prop my eyes open, made noncommittal remarks, and gave people the impression that I was paying attention.

Now that I'm feeling better I'm reviewing my notes from last week. If I stare at "Email biot prerq tchr" long enough, I may be able to divine its meaning. And if I can't figure it out, maybe it wasn't important. Little of what we do during the day truly is important anyway.

No comments: