Thursday, April 02, 2009

The Right Attitude: Humility

What should be the attitude of the loyal opposition to the proposed remaking of the American economy by our President?

Dennis Miller in his podcast of 2/26 reflects my sentiment:
If it works I'm willing to concede that I was completely wrong. That would be a small price to pay to turn this country around. I'm more than willing to step up and go, "Boy, when he did this I thought it was crazy. And look at him. He was smarter than me." I don't know a lot of people who would be willing to do that. I think some people would rather be right than flush again. I'd rather the country be flush and I be wrong.

Many of our models and preconceived notions have been shattered by new evidence and events. In this environment only a fool is absolutely certain whether something will or won't work. So let's be both doubtful and hopeful.

At the same time, I wish those who have begun to drastically overhaul our financial, energy, health, and environmental systems would show a little humility themselves. Few had careers where they can point to unqualified success on smaller stages, and on such an important matter as predicting the failure of the Iraq surge they have been greatly mistaken. His predecessor may have possessed hubris and grown government improvidently, but the current President has left him far, far behind. © 2009 Stephen Yuen

No comments: