Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Hot and Bothered

The Wall Street Journal’s influential tech reviewer, Walt Mossberg, praises the iPad:
I believe this beautiful new touch-screen device from Apple has the potential to change portable computing profoundly, and to challenge the primacy of the laptop.
BoingBoing’s Xeni Jardin sounded like he needed to get a room:
It strikes you when you first touch an iPad. The form just feels good, not too lightweight or heavy, nor too thin or thick. It's sensual. It's tactile. And it's a good way to spot a first-timer, too, as I observed with a few test subjects. The dead giveaway for an iPad n00b is pausing a few breaths before hitting the "on" switch, and just let the thing rest there against skin.
My tech purchasing “don’ts” will test my willpower during April: 1) Don’t buy version 1.0 of any piece of hardware; 2) Don’t crave a product so badly that I have to put my name on a waiting list; 3) Don’t buy a gizmo that has a good chance of being discounted within six months. I am a mature adult with self-control. But don’t let the thing rest there against my skin. © 2010 Stephen Yuen

No comments: