Tuesday, January 14, 2020

When Marshawn Lynch Talks, People Listen

(Seattle Times image)
When their running backs were injured at the end of the season, the Seattle Seahawks asked 33-year-old Marshawn Lynch to come out of retirement and join them during the playoffs. The Seahawks were eliminated by the Packers on Sunday, and the normally taciturn Lynch became unusually voluble in the postgame interviews.

The topic: advice to young players from a star who had a taste of life outside of football. [bold added]
"Look, I'll say like this though, right?" Lynch said. "This is a vulnerable time for a lot of these young dudes, you feel me? They don't be taking care of their chicken right, you feel me? So if it was me, or if I had a opportunity to let these little young sahobs know something, I'd say take care of y'all money, African, because that ... don't last forever. Now I done been on the other side of retirement and it's good when you get over there and you can do what ... you want to. So I tell y'all right now while y'all in it: Take care of y'all bread, so when y'all done go ahead and take care of yourself.

"So while y'all at it right now, take care of y'all bodies, you know what I mean; take care of y'all chicken, you feel me; take care of y'all mentals because, look, we ain't lasting that long. I had a couple players that I played with that they're no longer here no more — they're no longer — so, I mean, you feel me? So you start taking care of y'all mentals, y'all bodies, y'all chicken, so when y'all ready to walk away, walk away and you'll be able to do what you want to do."
To sum up, Mr. Lynch is advising young players not to spend the immense sums ("chicken") that they are earning now, to guard against their minds being blown by concussions or drugs, and to keep healthy physically. When they leave football, hopefully with money and minds and bodies intact, they'll "be able to do what you want to do."

So take care of y'all mentals, y'all bodies, y'all chicken. When Marshawn Lynch talks, people listen...and remember.

No comments: