Sunday, December 27, 2020

In the Moment

Andrea Bocelli (WSJ)
Advent (Latin: "coming") ends with Christmas, which after reflection may be the season on the Christian calendar that best represents 2020.

A holiday normally associated with joyous revelry has become one of silence and solitude, and expectations have been turned upside-down.

2,000 years ago the Jewish people were anticipating a warrior Messiah who would conquer enemy armies. Instead they were given a person so contrary to their expectations that most did not recognize him.

If life does not deliver what we expect, we are sure to be disappointed. Andrea Bocelli:
“There is a sense of suspense when [audiences] are waiting to listen to my music. I remember having the same sensation listening to [Italian tenor] Franco Corelli. When you have a sense of urgency because you want to obtain what you so much desire, it can lead you to make a mistake, which is to do things hurriedly.

My life has been a lesson in trying to keep myself calmer. I’ve had to learn to manage my patience. Every time I’ve acted impatiently, every time I’ve wanted to be strong-willed, things have never turned out well. The person who expressed this in the best possible way was Oscar Wilde, who stated that there are two tragedies in the human condition: One is to wish for something that you do not have and the other is when you actually obtain what you want.”


No comments: