Friday, November 04, 2022

70 is Just a Number

I vaguely remember my grandfather's big blowout of a 70th birthday party, but it made a big impression on my father.

When he approached his milestone year, the hints became more frequent. And so it was that we reserved a large room at a Waikiki hotel. His party had plenty of food and drink for over a hundred guests. There were speeches extolling his life--as the eldest son I gave the lengthiest one--and entertainment that ended with a ceremonial lion dance.

To give Dad his due, living to 70 was a milestone in the last century. (For the record he lived to 94, and his 90th birthday celebration was indeed a happy affair.)

As for me, a quiet evening at home was all I wanted. A simple dinner of boiled lobster, opening a few presents, and engaging in FaceTime calls with the family were just the ticket.

It's been a busy October, completing the 2021 tax return and organizing two major Outreach events. And I'll have to get ready for next week's trip to Hawaii.

70 is just a number.

To be clear, if I do make it to a hundred, I'll be wanting a lion dance.

No comments: