Wednesday, May 22, 2024

Obsessed by a Pittance

One of my New Year's goals (it's an aspiration, not a resolution) was to write letters regularly.

I've been averaging five letters per week, which requires frequent stamp purchases. It's a personal predilection, but I prefer to pay full price for a first-class stamp, currently 68¢, and pick out the images that I like. (One can buy slightly discounted stamps in bulk at stamps.com or big box stores.)

Yesterday I bought eighty stamps (picture) but didn't bother putting them in an envelope.

The smallest plate block was missing when I took inventory. Retracing my steps, I searched the car several times. After 20 minutes, I gave up, rationalizing that what was lost was only $13.60 (20 x 68¢), nothing in the scheme of things.

The next morning the first thing I did was search the car again. Et voilĂ ! The manatee block was at the bottom of the driver-side storage compartment. I felt a brief moment of elation, then sobered immediately.

This chronicle of events was not about commitment, writing letters, buying stamps, or money.

I had been obsessed by a pittance, and I need to fix that.

No comments: