Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Hopeful

Two days before the spooks and goblins made the rounds of the neighborhood, we received a videotaped reminder of someone who really makes us scared. Osama Bin Laden won’t be placated by a Tootsie Roll and a pat on the head. Suddenly, the fact that I won’t be getting my flu shot or that I need four sawbucks to fill my tank instead of two doesn’t seem as all-important as one week ago. Yet I am hopeful.

Despite criticisms of the Presidential candidates’ military service records and policy positions, the majority of the American people hold favorable impressions of both of them, according to the latest polls. Count me in the majority: although I favor one candidate, I don’t think a victory for the other fellow will lead to disaster.

The opponents of Presidents Reagan, Bush (senior), and Clinton said that their respective elections would result in catastrophe, yet somehow America today is cleaner, wealthier, and healthier than ever before. We live under the threat of terrorism, but our civilization, much less the world, is not threatened by total annihilation. The Middle East is a mess, but it’s been that way for centuries. The conduct of recent wars is rife with mistakes and misjudgments, but our actions have given hope that in a matter of “mere” decades the flower of reason will sprout in those unfriendly sands.

So if my guy wins, I’ll be happy, of course. But if the other guy wins, I’ll still be happy. It's a beautiful day and a beautiful life ahead.

No comments: