Sunday, May 01, 2005

Paper Appreciation

When some loud braggart tries to put me down and says his school is great
I tell him right away, now what’s the matter, buddy,
Ain’t you heard of my school
It’s number one in the state,
So be true to your school.
- The Beach Boys


It’s difficult to be true to your school when it has its hand out all the time. In order to get a personal call from the dean, you need to make a six-figure donation or have three generations of your family attend its hallowed halls. Fondness for my bright college years dims.


Price student center at UCSD

However, as the parent of a current student at UC-San Diego, I’ve become impressed with that institution’s recent efforts to cultivate its relations with alumni and parents. Twice a year the vice chancellor of student affairs travels to the Bay Area and presents a candid update on the problems and opportunities facing the school and the University of California system in general. Ideology and politics are kept to a minimum; for example, UCSD foresaw years ago that long-term trends point toward declining male enrollment and (a) recognizes this to be a problem, and (b) is taking steps to address this issue.

With a booming high-tech San Diego economy, proximity to La Jolla beaches, selective student body (this year’s admitted freshmen have an average 4.06 GPA and 1320 SAT), and a stable of wealthy benefactors who built the library, student center, and school of engineering, UCSD’s star will continue to rise. I can’t profit by buying shares in the school’s future, but at least my student will be able to enjoy the appreciation in the value of its diploma (okay, I’m getting a little ahead of myself, but parents are always guilty of dreaming).

No comments: