Friday, August 04, 2006

Cooling Off

I escaped the heat wave by going someplace cooler. Yes, it’s time for another pilgrimage to the Islands. I threw some tee-shirts, shorts, and flip-flops into a suitcase and rooted around for my Hawaii residents ID card that entitles me to valuable discounts at commercial and fine dining establishments.

The five hours passed uneventfully as the 767 cruised smoothly over the Pacific. The flight was crowded, but with a hot meal, no turbulence, and a reasonably priced ticket ($500 round trip), early 21st-century mass air travel doesn’t get much better than this. I can see why Hawaiian Air is making inroads against the majors; the airline has come out of bankruptcy with a popular mix of pricing and amenities.

My ride picked me up at the baggage claim and insisted on taking me out to lunch, ignoring my protestations that I had just eaten. We stopped at a hole-in-the-wall Korean restaurant on South King Street.

The produce boxes were piled high at the entrance. My ride bantered with the waitress; this was one of his regular haunts. I ordered the lunch special, a great value—three meat portions plus vegetables--for seven dollars.The lady in our party ordered a large bowl of soup. After twenty minutes, when we were mostly done, she asked me to identify a small black object floating near the bottom of her bowl. It was a (dead) baby cockroach. We speculated that it was the result of not washing the vegetables thoroughly. Regardless of the reason, our appetite was gone and we really were done.

This is a reminder that, even or especially when you’re on vacation, you have to watch what you eat. © 2006 Stephen Yuen

No comments: