Monday, December 24, 2007

Financial Versification

"Those of us who grew up wanting to be writers and are now in the financial markets don't get to scratch that itch very often," says Fortis currency trader Cameron Crise. Here is an example of his scratching, a year-end précis of the turmoil in financial markets, conducted to the cadence of Dr. Seuss' Green Eggs and Ham.
I would not like it here or there
I would not like it anywhere
I do not like your CDO
I do not like it, Broker Joe.
Judging from this writing sample Mr. Crise shouldn’t quit his day job just yet.

But he has my sympathy; I briefly shared Mr. Crise’s youthful enchantment with the writing life. Its manifestations today are in my annual habit of doggerelizing our family’s Christmas letter (late again) and occasional posts to this humble weblog. And no, I shouldn’t quit my day job either.

Fortunately for those who depend on me economically, I realized long ago that no one would pay folding money for my scrivening skills. So I chose professions--corporate finance and accounting—in which there’s a chance for me to retire before senescence overwhelms the ability to compose a sentence. If I can keep my wits and my health, I can later indulge my yen for writing, music, travel, playing games both physical and electronic, reading, and just plain goofing off.

Dreams can be sweet even, and perhaps especially, if we have to wait all our lives to attain them. © 2007 Stephen Yuen

2 comments:

Gaye Marasaki said...

Hi Steve! This evening it suddenly dawned on me - haven't read your log for quite awhile! I truly enjoy reading it, and you are as good a writer as you were in high school, which is to say, very good indeed, but with the added seasoning of the years!!! I'm looking forward to reading more after you - and I - retire.
By the way, did you write a family Xmas newsletter? Please send it to me!
Congrats on having a self-supporting child!!! A great milestone indeed!!!
Aloha,
Joyce

Stephen said...

Joyce..."seasoning of the years"? Thanks, I suppose (like hearing "you look good for your age").

And who the heck is Gaye Marasaki? If that's your pseudonym, I enjoyed reading your blog Random Thoughts, except that you should post more often than once a year.

We just sent out cards in December, but because there's been a groundswell of demand (okay, you and my Mom) maybe I will compose something...just in time for the Lunar New Year. BTW, Kung Hee Fat Choy!

Steve