Saturday, July 19, 2008

The Girl and the Fig

That night we went to Sonoma Plaza and parked near a corner which had five restaurants in sight. My partner had a good feeling about the both the name and posted menu of The Girl and the Fig. Although it was 9 PM on a Sunday night, we had to wait half an hour for a table. We nibbled on three varieties of goat cheese, fruit, and fig (bien sûr!) while seated on a comfortable sectional in the waiting area.

I ordered the prix fixe meal---escargots, grilled fish and shrimp, and a selection of silver-dollar-sized cakes for dessert. She ordered a radish salad. An extra plate allowed us to share everything. The snails were tender but were my only quibble with the entire meal; I prefer my escargots to have a stronger garlic bite. The radish and seafood (on two skewers, perfect for splitting) were crisp and flavorful. The cakes, dark chocolate, coconut peach, and mocha cream, perfectly complemented the strong coffee which ended the meal.

On the drive back to the hotel I missed the left turn off the unlit road. No problem. On this unscheduled vacation day I was off the clock.

No comments: