Saturday, February 14, 2009

Undaunted and Un-Retired

The weekend WSJ runs an article about seven formerly retired individuals whose retirement savings melted away and how they had to take jobs that only paid a fraction of their former salaries. After the all too-human responses of shock, sadness, anger, and bitterness (not in all cases), they picked themselves off the floor. I'm not sure I would react as well. A few quotes:

Terry McNally, manufacturers' rep, now Starbucks barista:
"We're paying the bills, and things are going along fine," he says. "Right now, you've got to do what you've got to do. I have many, many friends going through the same thing. You have to get over the 'sulk' and get back onto something. They may not be what we want to do, but there are jobs available."
Jan Cone, big-firm legal secretary, now small-firm legal assistant:
"This gives me a reason to get up every morning," she says. "I'm using my mind."
Ron Giles, director of corporate real estate, now setting up supermarket product displays:
"I probably say hello to 100 people a day, which is very unlike my character for all of my business life. I find it delightful to have time to say, 'Good morning. How are you doing?' "
Gordon Scott, police district commander, now substitute teacher:
"I just retired at the wrong moment," he says. "I thought I had a great plan, and I worked the numbers for so long. But a lot of people have it a lot worse than I do. I don't have a bad life; I just have an altered life."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this link, but argg it seems to be down... Does anybody have a mirror or another source? Please reply to my post if you do!

I would appreciate if someone here at viewsbythebay.blogspot.com could post it.

Thanks,
Peter

Stephen said...

Peter, the link still appears to be working. You can try pasting its text into your browser:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123421515383065059.html